Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Monday (I can't come up with a better title)

People are back to work. I can tell because the internet connection is much slower than last week (we share the wireless with an office building across the road). That means that I am now writing my blog entry in Word and waiting till later to post it.

Yesterday
Yesterday was a nationwide day of prayer. People prayed in church services, prayer meetings and on TV for the political situation, for the displaced people and for the leaders of the country. People of all religions prayed. I do not know whether you heard of it wherever you are, but they even showed spoke about it and showed footage in the evening news.

Today
Today I went to church to help with making care packages for people in Kibera. The beginning of the internship program has been postponed to next week because of the immediate need of the situation. However, communication here does not always seem very clear to me, and I went to church expecting to meet the other interns and the pastors.

Surprise number two (which I should have anticipated) was that there was only one person at the church when I got there at nine as requested. At 9:30 there were six of us waiting for Pastor Faith who was said to be on her way. She arrived at about 10am, and we began dividing all the foodstuff we had received into 200 piles on the ground as people continued to arrive to help. Here’s what most bags contained:

  • 2 bags of maize flour (Maismehl) – for “ugali”, something like polenta which you can use to scoop up the other food when eating with your fingers
  • 1 bag of beans or lentils (Linsen) – protein
  • 1 bag of rice
  • 1 bag or can of “mafuta” – oil in solid form, shortening?
  • some long-life milk (UHT) or milk powder
  • a packet of tea
  • a bar of laundry soap

Carrying around all the food, chopping up bars of soap and pouring maize meal into bags is actually hard work! Especially when it is hot (at least we were inside the church tent) and you have nothing to eat or drink for a few hours (I put my bag with my water bottle in someone’s car and she went off to hand out the bags of food with it in her car!). I think people here are more used to waiting for a meal, but I could feel my blood sugar level getting lower by the hour – I miss “Znüni” time (coffee break)!

Caleb
On my way to church I was approached by a guy named Caleb who told me that he had a blind wife and a baby girl at home, that he had no job and no food at home for his family. I took him along to church because I could not give him anything and was not able to discern whether his story was true or not (in a way it does not matter because he was obviously in need, but you first want to help those who are most needy, not the most clever in getting something). I was surprised at how patient he was, waiting for the pastor to come and then helping us prepare bags of food for two or three hours before he received his own bag of food and went off very happy.

The Present Situation
People I have talked to who live in or close to Kibera (the slum area where there was lots of burning and looting) have told me that it has been very quiet there the last few days. However, there is a rally planned for tomorrow in various places and people are worried about what will happen. Everyone who can will be staying at home, so once again your prayers are appreciated for the safety of people and against violence.

No comments: