Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Hospital visit

Last week I went to the hospital to visit Njeru’s mother. I went with Njeru, also a pastoral trainee at Nairobi Chapel, and a pastor from Nairobi Chapel. Njeru’s mom had had a stroke the week before. They had been able to have her transferred to Kenyatta Hospital from a hospital outside the city because they have a relative working in administration at Kenyatta (the sign outside the hospital says “corruption free zone”). I was amazed at how many people were walking around the hospital. It was absolutely crowded and we had to stand in line to get in the elevator. When I visit the hospital in Switzerland, I mostly see nurses and doctors in the hallways – here I was noticing all the other people. I soon realised why there were so many people. In Kenya, if you are sick, you do not just get visits from your family and friends, but from your family’s friends (like me) and your friends’ friends. There were eight people in the room with Mama Njeru – usually about ten at all times according to Njeru, sometimes they have to take turns being in the room. I cannot imagine being ill and constantly surrounded by ten people, many of whom I do not even know. Maybe that is why they limit visiting hours to 12-2pm and 4:30-6pm.

1 comment:

mimilibrarian said...

I suppose this is a cultural difference. I'm sure that I would feel as you do - please leave me alone so I can rest and heal!!! BUT, I can also imagine that someone else would feel very supported and encouraged by all those people coming to visit!